Legal Assistance Programs for Independent Inventors
Databases (Library card is required to access the databases outside the library.)
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
Profiles important Americans from colonial times to the present. Provides in-depth information on robber barons and their counterparts as well as current visionaries such as Bill Gates, and biographies from financier Warren Buffet to music mogul Jay-Z.
- General OneFile (Gale)
Full-text articles from magazines, journal and scholarly publications about all aspects of intellectual property.
- Legal Information Reference Center
Consumer legal reference books from NOLO Press on all aspects of starting and running a business including printable legal forms by state.
Information on over 10 million US businesses. A good resource for compiling and downloading lists of businesses based on a variety of criteria.
- Small Business Reference Center
Provides up-to-date information on starting, operating and managing a business including an informative Small Business Start-Up Kit.
Patent and Trademark Searching
- US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO): Patent and trademark databases
- Patent and Trademark Resource Centers (PTRC) in Southern California
Los Angeles Patent and Trademark Resource Center
Los Angeles Public Library
Phone: (213) 228-7220
San Diego Patent and Trademark Resource Center
San Diego Public Library
Phone: (619) 236-5800
Riverside Patent and Trademark Resource Center
Orbach Science Library, University of California, Riverside
Phone: (951) 827-3316
Loans, Grants & Funding
- SBA.gov: U. S. Small Business Administration provides information on various loans and grants including a loans/grants search feature.
- Edward Lowe Foundation offers forward-thinking ideas and solutions for every aspect of running a business. Their mission is to lead entrepreneurs through the trial and error process that today's hottest entrepreneurs have already overcome.
- Entrepreneur.org: An information resource for entrepreneurs and supporters of entrepreneurship.
- NASE (National Association for the Self Employed): The Nation’s Leading Resource for Entrepreneurs.
- The Small Business Administration (SBA) Young entrepreneurs: SBA has a wide range of resources and programs to help you start, manage and grow your business.
- Startup Digest: The personalized insider newsletter for all things startup around the world.
- Up Global: A non-profit dedicated to fostering entrepreneurship, grassroots leadership, and strong communities.
- U.S. Census Bureau Business & Industry (This page will be transitioning to the new Business and Economy topic page in February 2019.)