New Young Adults' materials
- YA Fiction
- YA Non-Fiction
- YA Graphic Novels
- YA Spoken Word - eAudio from OverDrive
- YA New Books Coming Soon
Booklists and Recommended Reading
- Best Books for Young Adults - compiled by the Young Adult Library Services Association of the American Library Association
- Great Graphic Novels for Teens - compiled by the Young Adult Library Services Association section of the American Library Association
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers - compiled by the Young Adult Library Association section of the American Library Association
- Accelerated Reading Lists - Check your individual school website for current Accelerated Reading List
- Three from Teens - recommendations from our Thousand Oaks Teen Advisory League (TOTAL)
- Alan Awards - to honor those who have made outstanding contributions to the field of adolescent literature
- Alex Awards - are given to ten books written for adults that have special appeal to young adults, ages 12 through 18
- California Young Reader Medal - millions of California children have nominated, read, and voted for the winners of the California Young Reader Medal
- The Edgars - Given by the Mystery Writers of America. Search by Award Category Best Young Adult or Best Juvenile
- Edwards Award - honors an author, as well as a specific body of his or her work, for significant and lasting contribution to young adult literature
- Hugo Awards - awards for excellence in the field of science fiction and fantasy
- International Reading Association Children's and Young Adult's Book Awards - are given for an author’s first or second published book written for children or young adults (ages birth to 17 years)
- John Newbery Medal - given to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children
- Michael L. Printz Award - an award for a book that exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature
- Nebula Awards - are voted on, and presented by, active members of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc.
- Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction- goes to a meritorious book published in the previous year for children or young adults
Websites on Books, Reading and Literature
- American Folklore - This folklore site contains retellings of American folktales, Native American myths and legends, tall tales, weather folklore and ghost stories from each and every one of the 50 United States
- Guys Read- Jon Scieszka's web based literacy guide for boys
- Lyrical Legacy : 400 Years of American Song and Poetry
- No Flying, No Tights - a website reviewing graphic novels for teens
- Poetry Archive - online collection of poets reading their work
- Poets.org - the Academy of American Poets
- Teenreads- read and write book reviews
YALSA's Teens' Top Ten
YALSA has launched the Teen Book Finder Database, which is a one-stop shop for finding selected lists and award winners. Users can search this free resource by award, list name, year, author, genre and more, as well as print customizable lists. This new resource will replace the individual award and list web pages currently on YALSA’s site that are not searchable and that are organized only by year.
The 2020 Teens' Top Ten Nominees will be announced on Monday, April 27, 2020
2019 Teens' Top Ten
The top ten titles are as follows:
- #MurderTrending by Gretchen McNeil. Freeform Books/Disney Book Group. 9781368010023.
- Wildcard by Marie Lu. G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers/Penguin Random House. 9780399547997.
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers/Hachette Book Group. 9780316310277.
- Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman. Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers/ Simon & Schuster. 9781978614306.
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. Henry Holt Books for Young Readers/Macmillan. 9781250170972.
- The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang. First Second/Macmillan. 9781250159854.
- American Panda by Gloria Chao. Simon Pulse/Simon & Schuster. 9781481499101.
- Batman: Nightwalker by Marie Lu. Random House Children’s Books/Penguin Random House. 9780399549809.
- Speak: The Graphic Novel by Laurie Halse Anderson and Emily Carroll. Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Macmillan. 978037430028
- The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo. HarperTeen/HarperCollins. 9780062662804.
Download the full list with annotations.