About Zip Books
Zip Books is a way for patrons to request books that Thousand Oaks Library does not own. The item is free to you and shipped directly to you using Amazon.
- Patron must be at least 18 years old.
- Patron must have a Thousand Oaks Library card with good standing.
- Only ONE Zip Book may be requested at a time. A previous Zip Book must be returned before requesting another item, no more than four requests per month.
- Patron can only request items that are currently NOT in our libraries and that we don’t already own.
- The total cost of an item, including sales tax, must not exceed $75 for foreign items or audiobooks and $50 for all other items.
- Item may be a Book, a Large Print Book, or a Book on CD.
- Item must be available through Amazon Prime.
- Textbooks, study guides, best sellers, new releases published within six months, and materials published older than two years are not eligible.
- Item must be published older than 6 months but within the last two years.
- Use the purchase suggestion form to suggest Best Sellers or new releases (published within six months.)
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request materials that are published older than 2 years.
- Zip Books may be added to the library's collection if they fall under our collection development guidelines.
How to Request and Return a Zip Book
Step 1: Fill out the Zip Books Request Form.
Step 2: Library staff will email or call to let you know what day to expect the book to arrive from Amazon or let you know if it is not available. Please contact us at: email@example.com if you don’t receive your book on the day estimated.
Step 3: Keep the item up to four weeks. Please insert the gift receipt (see sample on the right) in the Zip Book and return the book in its original package or in a securely enclosed plastic bag at a service desk. Once the item is checked in, it will be taken off your library record and you may request the next item. An item that is lost or damaged, or incorrectly returned to the library may result in a full replacement charge on your account, and a temporary suspension to use the Zip Book Service until the issue is resolved.
Step 4: You will be asked to complete a short survey which allows us to track patron satisfactory level with the program.
Sponsored byZip Books is a statewide project of the California State Library. The Project is funded in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the California Library Services Act. Zip Books is administered in California by the State Librarian.